Re: Revelation and a Neronian date

From: Adamsen, Georg (georg.adamsen@post3.tele.dk)
Date: Mon Apr 14 1997 - 04:58:09 EDT

From: Lynn A Kauppi <lynnkauppi@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 14:17:12 EDT
Subject: miscellaneous

> Carl, the current exegetical literature on Revelation seems to
> generally agree on a Domitianic date for Revelation.

I want to support Carl Conrad's claim that a growing number of
scholars (although still a minority especially outside the USA)
argue the Neronian date. Although much published literature does
support a Domitianic date, Carl Conrad's remark is helpful. A number
of recent articles and dissertations (i.e. the last decade or so)
have argued the Neronian date and against the Domitian date, and on
the Revelation mailing list we have several proponents of this date
and a stimulating discussion of the problem. In my view both datings
have their _pro_ et _con_s. As far as I know, SBLs Reading the
Apocalypse seminar group has discussed this issue with proponents on
both side. S. Wilson and K.L. Gentry are among the proponents of the
early date.

Georg S. Adamsen
Researcher, the Lutheran School of Theology in Aarhus, Denmark
Revelation Resources: http://sunsite.auc.dk/Revelation