Re: Romans 6:5 ALLA KAI THS ANASTASEWS ESOMEQA

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Apr 20 1997 - 20:44:19 EDT

Edward Hobbs wrote:
>Jonathan Robie raised the question about Zerwick's writing in Latin. In
>answer to his question as to whether has his work in Latin, the answer is,
>Yes, I do--his grammar (_Graecitas Biblica_) and his _Analysis Philologica
>Novi Testamenti Graeci_.

Edward: Since you have a copy of the Latin edition, could you please tell me
what section 284a of Graecitas Biblica says? The English edition doesn't
seem to contain this comment, since I am specifically referred to the Latin
edition.

At 06:48 AM 4/19/97 -0500, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 9:20 PM -0500 4/18/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>Roma 6:5 EI GAR SUMFUTOI GEGONAMEN TW hOMOIWMATI TOU QANATOU AUTOU, ALLA
>>KAI THS ANASTASEWS ESOMEQA
>>
>>Zerwick's Grammatical Analysis has a very strange note about ESOMEQA here;
>>it says "future connoting 'now that we are baptized, we...', logical rather
>>than temporal". It refers to section 284a of the Latin edition of Zerwick's
>>grammar.
>>
>>(Q1) Does anybody know what he is talking about? (Q2)Does anybody have the
>> Latin edition of Zerwick's grammar? (Q3) Does anybody know why anybody would
>> write a Greek grammar in Latin in the first place?
>Now the
>question--which I shan't attempt to answer--is: is that future resurrection
>logically future or temporally future? Which is to say: is it slated to
>take place in time or in logic?

Hmmmm...so I can probably ignore section 284a of the Latin edition of
Zerwick's grammar without danger to my immortal soul, eh? I don't imagine
that we have to add the time/logic continuum to our model of aspect ;->

Maurice A. O'Sullivan wrote:
> Haec theoria non tenuit aquam.

I actually understood that. I've been reading the footnotes in Asterix and
Obelix, which is probably good preparation for the classics ;->

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com