Re: Passives in Hellenistic Greek

From: Micheal Palmer (
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 00:14:51 EDT

>At 9:54 PM -0500 4/19/97, Micheal Palmer wrote:

>>So... here's my question: Is DIDWMI unique in this regard, or is it
>>*always* impossible to take what would be the indirect object of an active
>>construction and make it the subject of an equivalent passive construction
>>in Greek? I suspect that it IS impossible, but I can't demonstrate that yet.
>>Phrased a little differently, my question would be, 'Can any of you provide
>>me with an example where the subject of a passive construction in the Greek
>>New Testament (of in any other Hellenistic Greek document) would clearly be
>>dative case in an equivalent active construction?'
At 7:45 AM -0500 4/20/97, Carl W. Conrad responded:

>Here's one, at least--and I really believe there are several others, but I
>can't put my fingers on them as readily as this:
>Here there is no way to understand TO EUAGGELION other than as the object
>of the perfect passive PEPISTEUMAI.

This is exactly the kind of example I needed, Carl. In fact, I should have
remembered this one myself!

>My hunch is that this construction is most commonly found with a perfect
>passive rather than an aorist. It is relatively rare, but one sees it

This is helpful. I'll try tracking down examples in both of these tenses.
If any of you know of an example in the aorist, I wold appreciate knowing
about it.

Micheal W. Palmer
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College