rom.9.huxomhv.how.know?

From: BTHURMAN@unca.edu
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 06:30:16 EDT

yes, jonathan, you have a good point!

a point that shows that the special knack of 'thinking greek' really means
(sometimes surreptitious) reliance on tradition or translation!

the 'I could wish' instead of 'I was wishing' simply had to be obvious, because
thats what the AV committee put down. and why did they put it down? because, as
so often for them, their latin was their clue to their greek, and the latin let
the cat out of the bag by putting optarem, imf. subj., not optabam indic.

cheers,shalom,
bearded bill of asheville <bthurman@unca.edu>
unca not having approved either whom or thereof.

p.s. what was happening in demotic linguistic pools was the same as what
happens in ours when 'i was' ignoringly serves for 'i were'.