en xristwi

From: andrew low (all@innova.net)
Date: Sun Jun 01 1997 - 22:57:41 EDT

I'm sorry if this is either an old or an obvious issue, but I've been
puzzled by the phrase E)N XRISTW=I. The LSJ (if one overlooks the fact
that some of these options seem most appropriate for plural
prepositional objects) suggests the following as possible translations
of E)N: at the place of (chez, bei), in the presence of, by (at the side
of?), surrounded by, in respect of, by means of, in the manner of.

Romans 3:24: DIKAIOU/MENOI DWREA\N TH=I AU)TOU= [QEOU=] XA/RITI DIA\
TH=S A)POLUTRW/SEWS TH=S E)N XRISTW=I I)HSOU=.
Why not TH=S U(PO XRISTOU=, for example? (TH=S PARA XRISTOU= might be
confusing here, with A)POLUTRW/SEWS.)

Romans 6:11: ZW=NTAS DE\ TW=I QEW=I E)N XRISTW=I I)HSOU=.
Is this means, manner, or something else? Is it really Greek at all?

A. Low