Translation INTO Koine Greek

From: Stevens, Charles C (Charles.Stevens@unisys.com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 16:20:04 EDT

I am trying to develop a suitable inscription for a dedicatory plaque
for a musical instrument. The basic tone (no pun intended) that I am
trying to convey is from a (non-scriptural, from my Roman Catholic
upbringing) Latin phrase "AD MAIOREM DEI GLORIAM", roughly "to [or
toward] the greater glory of God".

Jim Beale suggested the following:

> TH=| TOU= QEOU= DO/CH| MEGA/LH|
>or,
>PRO\S TH\N TOU= QEOU= DO/CAN MEGA/LHN
>or, as Luke 2:14 reads:
>DO/CA E)N U(YI/STOIS QEW=|

Another possibility is a modification of John 11:4 (without my grammars
handy I can't come up with the proper endings, but it'd be something
like "I(/NA DO/CASQHI= O([?] QEW/S[?]". I also don't know offhand
how to form, or where to include idiomatically, a comparative version of
MEGALW/S in this sentence to convey what I'm trying to say in nonstilted
Koine Greek.

Any suggestions for a suitable inscription?

Also, as it's my plan to use uncials, are breathing marks, accents and
subscript iotas conventional in inscriptions (monumental or otherwise)
or are they usually left out?

Thanks for any assistance!

    -Chuck Stevens [SMTP: Charles.Stevens@unisys.com]