Re: Antecedent of AUTOIS in Acts 5:13

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@WELLESLEY.EDU)
Date: Sun Jun 08 1997 - 16:53:16 EDT

Dear Clay and Carl,

Rats! I thought I had it all figured out.

Clay ws asking for a reference work (known as Martini James, as we say
Blass Debrunner or Liddell Scott), by Carlo Martini (now Archbishop of Milan,
but on the UBS GNT Committee in time to ruin the 3rd edition), and
M. R. James. The two olives (olive = olive tree) referred to the
two olive trees of Zechariah 4; Martini-James must have an entry about
the two olives which would explain this passage in Acts--perhaps the
AUTOIS refers to them.

But I see it's really about some Irishman name McBat! (Or is Hymie Kaplan
not helpful? "Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow....")

Edward

P.S.: Though the formula as you cite it, Carl, is the usual way, the original
rule as stated by Bengel was:
        Proclivi lectioni praestat ardua.
(I quote from my own "Introduction to Methods of Textual Criticism,"
whose authority is beyond question (since I am the author[ity].)

E.