2 Corinthians 12:7

From: James C. Clardy, Jr. (JClar100@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jun 20 1997 - 12:14:40 EDT

I'm researching the lectionary text for July 6 which is 2 Corinthians
12:2-10. I've found it to be a very interesting passage (arpagenta,
paradeison, asQeneiais, etc.)

But my question is in reference to verse 7. Is the "skolops tHi sarki"
(thorn in the flesh) something which Paul received from God? Obviously,
many scholars think that it is. (And, I'm aware of many of the possible
interpretations as to what the thorn is, i.e., poor eyesight, a disease,
persecution, etc.) However, as I read the text, I find no mention of the
thorn being given to Paul by God. What am I overlooking?

It is "angelos Satana." Does that mean the "skolops" was received from
"Satana?" Or, does the grammatical construction point to another
meaning?

I think I understand Paul's understanding that the "thorn" kept him
humble as he boasted in his weaknesses rather than in the great
"inexpressible" revelations he had received in the "third heaven" or
"paradise." I guess I'm asking for help in determining the source of
the "thorn"?

Thanks

Jim Clardy
JCLAR100@worldnet.att.net