Re: 2 Corinthians 9:7 "God loves"?

From: Gregory and Carol Yeager (cgyeager@nwlink.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 18:38:24 EDT

Josef Lowder wrote:

> To: b-greek@virginia.edu
> Subject: 2 Corinthians 9:7 "God loves"?
>
> ekastos kaqws proaireitai th kardia mh ek luphs h ex anagkhs
> each as purposes the heart not of sorrow or of necessity
>
> ilaron gar dothn agapa o qeoV
> cheerful for giver loves God
>
> What criteria of Greek grammatical construction warrants or requires
> the translation "for God loves [a] cheerful giver" (as seems to be an
> almost universal translation in most English texts) ... rather than
> "for [the] cheerful giver loves God" ?
>
> Why is the translation "for the cheerful giver loves God" not equally
> or more viable, and would that not be more consistent with the context?

Check your nominative noun and your accusative noun, pally, and you'll
see the proper relation of noun - verb - noun.
This very reason I made my children draw airplane diagrams (much more
successful than Dennis Rodman nouns!)

Thus: |
        o theos | agapa | dothe
Sub. _____________|Verb______________|Obj._____________
                  | / hilaron
                  | /
Hence the fuselage, wings and tail of the airplane.

Genetive modifiers were "landing gear" dangling from the noun slots,
dative words and all prepositions hung from the tail hook made of wood -
a 2x4 stud, to be exact; for the inherent dative prepositions, to, by,
and for. In Latin I added a bomb rack (I showed a picture of a 1940's
era Douglass Dauntless dive bomber), with which to sling ablative words
without prepositions Frombywithatinon.

Didactically and paidistically :)
Gregory Yeager