More Stealth and Second Peter

From: Lex Kuhta (lexkuhta@mail2.deltanet.com)
Date: Tue Jun 24 1997 - 22:46:48 EDT

Examples of "stealth" translating abound. For example, I'm wondering how
to best render the series of EN phrases in 2 Peter 1:5-7. Are they
locative or instrumental?

Do we supply virtue by means of faith? or Do we add virtue to faith?
Do we add self-control by means of knowledge? or Do we add self-control
to knowledge?

In a Protestant reading group recently, we kind of decided that the NIV
did a Protestant gloss by rendering the phrases locative rather than
instrumental. Second Peter seems to have a lot of "early Catholic" stuff
going on.

I'm open minded still and looking for some syntactic hints on how to see
the EN phrases as locative or... other?