Re: PORNEIA as fornication.

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (
Date: Wed Jun 25 1997 - 08:06:13 EDT

At 14:16 25/06/97 -0700, you wrote:
>What basis is there for translating the word "PORNEIA" as
>Can anyone share with me in what context the NT writers wrote PORNEIA.

I recommend Joseph Fitzmyer's article " The Matthean Divorce Texts and some
new Palestinian evidence" in his _To Advance the Gospel: New Testament
Studies" (Crossroad, New York 1971)

He deals, inter alia, with the meaning of 'porneia' and its connections
with the 'zanut' of the rabbinical writings.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]

[using Eudora Pro 3 and Trumpet Winsock 3.0d ]