From: Jonathan Robie (
Date: Sat Jun 28 1997 - 21:55:49 EDT

At 08:52 PM 6/28/97 -0500, Jack Kilmon wrote:

> bl) t(ln lnsywn) is the Aramaic rendering of this petition.
>Abba Father
>yitqadDASH sheMAK Holy is your name
>Teteh malKOOtak Your kingdom come
>LahmaNA di misteYA Our daily bread/food
>heb laNAH yoMA deNAH Give us today
>UsheBUQ laNAH hobayNA Forgive us our debts
>kedi shebaqNA lehayYA-bayNA As we forgive our debtors
>we'AL ta`elinNA lenisYONA and do not lead us to the test.**
> (Do not allow us to come to the test)

Tell me about this Aramaic rendering - where did it come from? Is this from
some old manuscript?

>** "Temptation" is a clumsy translation... The
>difficulty lies in the translation of the Aramaic Nesiona to the
>Peirasmon of the Greek text. Some scholars see this petition with an
>apocalyptic and eschatological bent and asking God to spare the faithful
>from the final test of suffering, the Parousia. I think that the
>meaning was not based on apocalyptic eschatology but was a simple daily
>petition for God to "not allow us to enter into wrongful thinking
>(testing)," the Aramaic verb in the Hafel form, signifying a causative

I know absolutely nothing about Aramaic or about the source you are quoting,
so I really don't know what "in the Hafel form" means. Could you please
explain this for me?

Thanks for all this info!

Jonathan Robie