1 Corinthians 4:13

From: GentlJoe@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 27 1997 - 14:40:28 EDT

I am having difficulty finding words in English to express these two Greek
words in their idiomatic completeness: PERIKATHARMATA- tranlated filth in
KJV, and PERIPSEMA- tranlated offscouring. My lexicon, Thayer's, tells of
PERIKATHARMATA being used to describe an expiatory criminal sacrifice the
Greeks used to change bad fortune, and PERIPSEMA is a man who was yearly
tossed into sea by the Athenians to appease the gods. The context of Paul's
letter clearly points to the idioms, yet I can find no way of making this
understood in Enlish without attaching explanatory paragraphs to the text.
 Any suggestions will be appreciated.
                                   In Christ, Joseph Garnier