Re: Verb Aspect terminology

From: Clayton Bartholomew (
Date: Tue Aug 05 1997 - 07:13:41 EDT

Rod Decker wrote:

In grammar, the root fallacy is a matter of pragmatic not semantic
definition. As the cases may legitimately have a semantic value despite
diverse pragmatic functions, so the verb forms may be defined in similar

Here we run into another termiology problem. There seems to be no end
to these problems. Reading Rod and Rolf I was not, even with some effort,
able to sort out how they were using the term pragmatic. I know this term
has been used a lot in linguistics and I have a fuzzy sense of what it means
but when discussing the *aspect* of the aorist, I do not see how this is an
issue of *semantics* where as *function* is an issue of *pragmatics.*
(Possibly we are using the word *function* differently.) What is the
distinction between pragmatics and semantics *in this dicusson*, not a
text book definition, I already have text book definitions. How is the
distinction being drawn in the present discussion on verb aspect.

Clay Bartholomew
Three Tree Point