From: Trevor M Peterson (
Date: Thu Aug 14 1997 - 12:20:26 EDT

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:23:04 -0400 "D. Anthony Storm"
<> writes:
> I have read that in the Talmud there is a story that Mary the mother
>Jesus was impregnated by a Roman soldier (Centurion?) named Panthera.
>there any way that this could have circulated because of the Greek
>PANTHEROS? PANTHEROS, according to the LSJ, means primarily
>but can mean anyone connected by marriage. Does this make any sense?
I've heard that it's more likely to come from a play on PARQENOS, meaning
"virgin." The idea seems to be that since he was reputed to be the son
of a PARQENOS, they twisted to make Him the son of PANQEROS. Of course,
I suppose it is possible that the two ideas could have been combined, but
I haven't heard of any hard evidence for any of the theories.

Trevor Peterson
M.Div. Candidate
Capital Bible Seminary
Lanham, MD