Re: Philadelphia vs agape

From: Jonathan Robie (
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 14:16:01 EDT

At 01:08 PM 8/12/97 -0500, F. Holly Mitchell wrote:
>You say etymology can be dangerous. Please explain. It is precisely my
>love (EROS) of getting to the root of a matter that has me wrestling with
>Biblical Greek.

Getting to the root of the matter is always good - the only question is
whether the root of a word's meaning is best found in the etymological
roots. Words can change their meaning significantly over time, so the
original etymology does not always convey the current meaning of the word. I
think it is generally best to explore how a word is actually used, in
context, in a number of different places; etymology offers further clues.
>God Bless,
And God bless you also,

Jonathan Robie