(no subject)

From: McKay family (music@fl.net.au)
Date: Wed Aug 13 1997 - 19:44:54 EDT

[I meant to send this to the group, but sent it only to Jim West. Sorry,
Jim that you are receiving it twice.]

Have I got egg on my face!

In a discussion about FILADELFIA and AGAPH in 1 Thess 4:9, I rashly said
All compound words containing "love" in Greek combine with FILEW, not
AGAPH.

And Jim said:
> All? How about Eros? Storge?
> In fact only 3 words for love contain filew as an element.

I looked up the words in question and found that except for AGAPHTOS, AGAPH
does not combine with other words. But STORGH, which is not used in the NT,
does combine with FILEW to make FILOSTORGOS in Romans 12:10, where we also
find our friend FILADELFIA.

I can't find ERWS in the NT, either. But I have found that the FIL stem
combines a lot. In fact I found it combining with 22 other words!

'Ere ya go!
2 Tim 3:3 AFILAGAQOS
Hebrews 13:5 AFILARGUROS
Luke 1:3 QEOFILUS
Luke 7:45 KATAFILEW
Philippians 4:8 PROSFILHS
Titus 1:8 FILAGAQOS
Romans 12:10 FILADELFIA & FILOSTORGOS
Titus 2:4 FILANDROS & FILOTEKNOS
Titus 3:4 FILANQRWPIA
Acts 27:3 FILANQRWPOS
I Tim 6:10 FILARGURIA
2 Tim 3:2 FILAUTOS
2 Tim 3:4 FILHDONOS & FILOQEOS
Luke 7:45 FILHMA
Romans12:13 FILOXENIA
3 John 1:9 FILOPRWTEUW
Colossians 2:8 FILOSOFIA
1 Thessalonians 4:11 FILOTIMEOMAI
Acts 28:7 FILOFRONWS

Here is another word using STORGH:
2 Tim 3:3 ASTORGOS

So there is a lesson, here. I should not have said that all "love" words
combining with others in the NT use a FIL stem without checking to see if
what I had been told was true!

David McKay
music@fl.net.au