Re: 3rd-person imperatives in the Lord's Prayer

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 14 1997 - 22:04:42 EDT

On Thu 14 Aug 97 (09:22:32), jwrobie@mindspring.com wrote:
> If hAGIASQHTW is a true passive, then there is no need to look for a
> subject. The subject of ELQETW is clear - the kingdom is to come. But
> who is the implied subject for GENHQHTW? are we asking God to bring
> about his will? or are we asking that his will "come about", without
> specifying a subject?

 Jonathan: I think the answer is on the immediate context. "Hallowed be thy
 name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN" hWS EN
 OURANWi KAI EPI GHS.

 This earth is not presently the Kingdom of Heaven; it is the province of the
 Prince of this world: he is the Evil One from whom deliverance is requested
 hRUSAI hHMAS APO TOU PONHROU. He will not hallow God's Name; he will not
 further Christ's Kingdom on earth; he will keep tempting people to disobey
 God's will as he misled our first parents in the Garden of Eden.

 Jussive or Imperative? In the putative Aramaic original they would be Semitic grammatical Jussives; but in the Greek we have, let's parse them as 3rd pers
 imperatives. IMHO that is.

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA Bristol, 1963 (hons in Theology)
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>