Fw: EIS EPAINON EINAI in Eph 1:12

From: Perry L. Stepp (plstepp@flash.net)
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 14:55:25 EDT

Hello, all.

Carl Conrad and I were having a private discussion regarding Ephesians
1.11-12, and decided to take it public.

-----------------------------Quote mode on----------------------------
Carl wrote:
I want to say, however, especially about the EIS EPAINON phrases in 1:6 and
1:12 that I think these particular segments are little more than
doxologies inserted ALMOST automatically by those steeped in Jewish
liturgical phraseology such that, every time an assertion is made about
God's mighty deeds, they immediately respond with BARUKH ATAH ADONAY
ELOHENU MELEKH OLAM

[snip]

Much more important with respect to stating purpose, I think are the EIS +
accusative phrases such as 1:10: (EIS OIKONOMIAN ... ANAKEFALAIWSASQAI) and
EIS + infinitive phrases such as in 1:12 (EIS TO EINAI hHMAS .. TOUS
PROHLPIKOTAS--here I think these are the key elements, while the EIS
EPAINON DOXHS AUTOU is essentially an almost parenthetical accompanying
benediction (His Glory be praised!).

I responded:
So you would take the "to the praise of His glory", which is consistently
translated as the purpose statement (I've checked over a dozen English
translations) as a parenthetical comment, and the "the ones who
previously/first hoped in Christ" as the actual purpose statement?

This would produce something like "In Him we were made heirs . . . in order
that we (God's glory be praised!) might be the first to hope in Christ"
1.11-12)? Is this what you're suggesting? It makes sense to me, but I've
checked every translation I have for Eph 1.11-12, including M. Barth's and
Andrew Lincoln's, and find no mention of this possibility.

I'm surprised that no one else has made this (to my mind) extremely lucid
suggestion. Are you aware of any discussion along this line?

Carl responded:
I may be very wrong about this and I'd really like to hear what others have
to say--how those who want to take the predicate of 1:12 as EIS TO EINAI
hHMAS EIS EPAINON THS DOXHS AUTOU and who consider TOUS PROHLPIKOTAS as
simply appositional to hHMAS. I'd be curious to see just how far out on a
limb I am here (with my bias against the Greek of Ephesians!). I may be
very wrong here, but I really think that EIS EPAINON THS DOXHS AUTOU EINAI
is almost impossible Greek, even if we want to say in English (and Latin)
things like "This is all for the greater glory of God." I can see that
being said about one's labors; but it seems strange to say it of persons.
One might say "live for his Glory"--but "BE for his glory" with a person as
a subject really seems very strange to me.

---------------------------------------Quote mode
off-----------------------------------------

The language of Eph 1.3ff does indeed seem to me to be liturgical, and I
can easily picture someone in that context interjecting "God's glory be
praised!" at odd intervals during their doxology. What does everyone
think? Is anyone aware of a discussion of the verse that takes the tack
suggested here?

Grace and peace,

Perry L. Stepp

(Permission granted to quote any or all and to name the writer.)

DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
Ph.D. candidate in New Testament, Baylor University
Keeper of the Top-10 List, alt.fan.letterman

I've railed against a mountain with a pickaxe and a file
there's no minefield like presumption,
there's no deathwish like denial

there's no gunshot like conviction
there's no conscience bulletproof