Re: Teaching Greek

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 01:48:26 EDT

At 10:24 AM -0400 9/18/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>I have the feeling that Greek is taught quite differently from other
>languages - and frankly, I haven't yet seen any introductory Greek text that
>is as good as a reasonably good German or French text. I suspect that the
>people who write those kinds of texts have a lot to teach us about writing
>Greek texts.

Amen. Most Greek grammars are written by people who know Greek quite well,
but have virtually no knowledge of the widely published literature on
language acquisition. Of course this is not surprizing. Who has the time bo
become proficient in Greek while becoming proficient in a specialized area
of linguistics at the same time? Few people do.

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/