Where's the Oyster?

From: John M. Sweigart (jsweiger@cswnet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 06 1997 - 10:24:01 EDT

Jonathan Robie wrote:
> At 08:44 AM 10/6/97 -0500, Jeffrey Gibson wrote:
> >
> >Doubtless others will have responded by now, but Hermas is divided into
> >two sections, Mandate being one of them. If you get a text of Hermas and
> >open it up, all will be clear.
> Thanks - I found it on the web at
> "http://www.loxinfo.co.th/~baruch/hermas1.html#mandate1":
> Mandate the First
> "First of all, BELIEVE THAT GOD IS ONE, even He Who created all things and
> set them in order, and brought all things from non-existence into being, Who
> comprehends all things, being alone incomprehensible. Believe Him therefore,
> and fear Him, and in this fear be continent. Keep these things, and you will
> cast off all wickedness from yourself, and will clothe yourself with every
> excellence of righteousness, and will live to God, if you keep this
> commandment."
> Jonathan
> Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
> POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com
I gleaned the subject line from another list but it raises a b-greek
issue. Are we justified in Rev. 21:21 in assuming that the writer wanted
to assert that each gate was (made) of one pearl? BAG seems to suggest
in their article that EIMI+EK can be rendered "belongs to one pearl".
There seems to be a chiasmus based on 12 and multiples of 12 going on in
the dimensions of the celestial city and thus 12 inscribed tribal
names//twelve gates of pearl?? Any thoughts on the grammar or the
symbolic significance of the dimensions would be appreciated.

Rev. John M. Sweigart Box 895 Dover, Arkansas 72837 Cumberland Presbyterian Church __________________________________