The 3rd-person imperative in Acts 2:38

From: Perry L. Stepp (
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 14:53:12 EDT

Carrol Osburn published an article about six years ago (I think in
*Restoration Quarterly) where he noted that the LXX occasionally uses a
third-person singular imperative in parallel with a second-person plural--I
don't recall the citation he gave, and I don't have a copy of the article
in my office. He concluded that the point was to emphasize the "absolutely
each and every one of you must do this" aspect of a command directly given
to a group of people.

I can find the article tomorrow on my twice-weekly sojourn to Baylor, if
someone would like.

(Permission granted to quote any or all and to name the writer.)

DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
Ph.D. candidate in New Testament, Baylor University
Keeper of the Top-10 List,
#1 Cowboy Homer

"I saw a werewolf drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vick's
        And his hair was perfect!