Re: Jn 2:4, TI EMOI KAI SOI, GUNAI;

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 15 1997 - 18:11:15 EDT

On Wed 15 Oct 97 (08:30:14), jwrobie@mindspring.com wrote:
> Are you saying that the unclean spirits in Mark 1:24, Mark 5:7, Luke
> 4:34, and Luke 8:28 had a covenant with Jesus?

 Well, thank you, Jonathan, for your thoughtful responses.
 Yes, I am saying (or implying) just that. Consider the Gadarene swine and
 the Legion. "And behold, they cried out, saying, *TI hHMIN KAI SOI*, hUIE TOU
 QEOU; HLQES *WDE PRO KAIROU* BASANISAI hHMAS;" (Matthew 8:29). As Paul
 preached in Athens, "[God] hath appointed a day in which he will judge the
 world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained..." (Acts 17:31).
 "The Day of YHWH" is coming; the day of the expectation of the Jews.

 Imagine the panic among the "Legion" as they recognised "that Man" coming
 towards them! Had "that Day" arrived already? "God spared not the angels
 that sinned, ALLA SEIRAIS ZOFOU TARTARWSAS PAREDWKEN EIS KRISIN THROUMENOUS"
 (2 Peter 2:4). Satan himself will be chained and imprisoned in the pit
 (Revelation 20:1-3). God said through Isaiah, "How art thou fallen from
 heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground,
 which didst weaken the nations?" (Isaiah 14:12).

 Satan's contract will have run out. At the temptation in the wilderness,
 "the devil... showed to him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
 And the devil said to him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of
 them: *for that is delivered to me*; and to whomever I will I give it..."
 (Luke 4:5-6). That was no idle claim; Jesus couldn't dispute it. He himself
 described the devil as "the prince of this age". In Revelation 20, "this age"
 will run out for the devil and his angels.

 Why should God give a contract to an evil being? Satan /HeYLaL/ was not
 evil when he was created; he was perfect when he was created: "Thou sealest
 up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty" (Ezekiel 28:12). That was
 the day when the oversight of earth's development was committed to him.
 Satan fell; probably on the Second Day of creation, because that is the only
 Day of which God did NOT say, "and behold it was very good". That was the day
 the air was made; and Paul said Satan was "the prince of the power of the
 air" (Ephesians 2:2).

 The unclean spirits (fallen angels) frantically reminded Jesus that their
 time was not yet up; TI hUMIN KAI SOI;...

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>