Re: John 1:1a - in *the* beginning

From: Ben Crick (
Date: Tue Oct 28 1997 - 03:06:02 EST

On Mon 27 Oct 97 (21:14:59), wrote:
> When I read John 1:1a, I always read EN ARCH as "in the beginning". Of
> course, there is no article, but I've never heard anybody translate this as
> "in a beginning". Is it the meaning of ARCH that makes it definite, since
> there is only one beginning in the biblical world view? Or is there
> something else that should tip me off that this is definite and not
> indefinite?

 Would a comparison with Mark 1:1 be helpful? ARCH TOU EUAGGELIOU IHSOU
 CRISTOU, ktl.

 I've never heard any suggestion that we translate this "A beginning of the
 Gospel of Jesus Christ, etc". My mentors told me that Mark 1:1 is like a
 headline in a newspaper, when very large type is used and articles omitted
 for stark brevity. Hmmmm.

 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF