Re: NUN+Aorist, NUN+imperfect

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 30 1997 - 06:17:34 EST

At 7:10 PM -0600 10/29/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 04:36 PM 10/29/97 -0800, Don Wilkins wrote:
>
>>Sorry about that, Jonathan. It's not that I think it belongs off list, it's
>>just that I want to comply with everyone's wishes and not go on to another
>>aspect debate.
>
>Are there people out there who find this discussion out of line? If so,
>please send me email. I'll report back.

If I may make bold to say this, I didn't interpret the survey comments on
the aspect discussion as Don has. There WERE a few persons indicating that
the aspect discussion either was over their head or boring to them; I
suspect that the same is true of the discussion of aorist morphology (to
which I'm still working on a reply to Ward Powers). Also there were both
positive and negative comments on the relatively low-level explanations of
grammatical problems in particular verses. And note: although we did ask
what people didn't like on B-Greek, we didn't say we were going to cut out
everything that somebody didn't like. Personally I really think that one of
the greatest strengths of this electronic fellowship is its ability to
carry on different levels of discussion and help each other with simple or
more complex questions at the same time; and while there may be some thin
skins (as some noted and complained about), I also think there's a pretty
high level of tolerance and appreciation of the fact that we can tune in on
a discussion that is of interest to us personally and delete posts that are
outside of our interest or of our sense of what we're competent at. So I,
for one, did not derive from the survey results a sense that the discussion
of questions of aspect was henceforth and forever closed to active
discussion on this list. If it gets out of line, objections will be raised,
but objections are more likely to be raised if tempers start flaring than
if the subject under discussion is an area of NT Greek that appears a bit
esoteric to some.

Carl W. Conrad