Re: Little Greek Guide to Learning New Testament Greek

From: Daniel Ria–o (danielrr@mad.servicom.es)
Date: Fri Oct 31 1997 - 07:01:08 EST

Jonathan Robie wrote:
><B>Erasmian pronunciation.</B> This is the pronunciation used here, and is
>based on the pronunciation used by a Renaissance scholar named Erasmus, who
>was the main force behind the first printed copies of the Greek New
>Testament.

        Dear List,

        Probably most of you already know this, but the first printed copy
of the New Testament was not the edition of Erasmus (edited in Basel 1516,
printed in 1515) but the Greek text of the Biblia Poliglota Complutensia,
printed in 1514 in Alcal'a de Henares, Spain, but not edited until 1521,
cf. Aland, Kurt y Aland, Barbara. 1989. Der Text des Neuen Testaments. 2
ed. Stuttgart: DBG. pp. 13 ss. Besides, the text printed in the "Polyglota"
is, generally speaking, preferable to the text in Erasmus edition, cf.
Pfeiffer, Rudolf. 1976. History of Classical Scholarship. From 1300 to
1800. Oxford. caps. VI-VIII with rich bibliography (I can not give the
exact pages since I only have the Spanish edition), if we except the
objetable inclusion of the comma Iohanneum.
        BTW, Erasmus was not the first to reject the neogreek pronunciation
for classical and Biblical texts. Lebrija, one of the editors of the
Poliglota preceded him, cf. Schw.-Debr. Gr.Gr. vol. I p. 174 and Bywater,
I. 1908. The Erasmian pronunciation of Greek and its precursors. London.
        The great Erasmus had an enormous importance in Spanish
Renacimiento, cf. the classical book of M. Bataillon.

        Valete

        Daniel Rian~o Rufilanchas
        c. Santa Engracia 52, 7 dcha.
        28010-Madrid