Matt 4:3 If you are *the* son

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Sat Dec 20 1997 - 08:36:23 EST

Matt 4:3 EI hUIOS EI TOU QEOU

I am still struggling with the omission of the article. To me, it seems
that this same clause could be translated "if you are a son" in a different
context, e.g. if it occurred in a passage that discusses our status as
children of God. Is it true that the only reason this is "the" son is that
Satan seems to be talking about one definite son of God, one who would be
empowered to change stones into bread, etc.? Or is there something else
that should tip me off?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine