Re: Rom. 4:18

From: William Dicks (wd@isis.co.za)
Date: Fri Jan 09 1998 - 00:19:40 EST

Ben Crick wrote:

> On Thu 8 Jan 98 (07:40:05 +0200), wd@isis.co.za wrote:
> > In Rom. 4:18 we have the translation from NASB "In hope against hope"
> > for PAR ELPIDA EP ELPIDI. Out of my 4 resources BAGD and Thayer suggest
> > that EP ELPIDI is a kind of dative of support. Translated it could then
> > read "In hope, on the basis of (or supported by) hope." Most
> > translations, in fact all those that I am using regularly, suggest the
> > translation of "against hope" in some form. The only translation that
> > gives it the way that BAGD and Thayer suggested is Wuest's Expanded
> > Translation. Is there any real evidence that the translation could be
> > "against", or should it definitely be something like "supported by?"
>
> PAR' ELPIDA EP' ELPIDI refers to Abraham and Sarah's "hope" to have a son
> and heir. Because of their advanced age, it was "hoping against hope" for
> Sarah to conceive and bear a son. Physically their "hope" was zero, but
> spiritually, in faith, it was a certainty.
>
> This construction reminds me of CARIN ANTI CARITOS in John 1:16, hOTI EK
> TOU PLHRWMATOS AUTOU hHMEIS PANTES ELABOMEN *KAI CARIN ANTI CARITOS*.
> Grace *upon* grace (in addition); and/or Grace *for* Grace (New covenant
> Grace in substitution for Old covenant Grace).
>
> So in Abraham's case, his old Hope, so long dashed, is reinforced with
> new confidence and assurance. Against PARA human hope, or Alongside EPI
> human hope, he adds, or substitutes, or sets in contrast, new spiritual
> hope.
>
> JA Bengel, the "commentators' commentator", comments ad loc.:
>
> "18. PAR' ELPIDA EP' ELPIDI EPISTEUSEN, past [against] hope believed in
> hope) We lay hold of one and the same object both by /faith/ and by /hope/;
> /by hope/, as an object of joy, which for certain can and will be realized

Hi Grecos,

My initial question about Rom. 4:18 was a bit out of stupidity. What I
normally deny others (to make mistakes when one is over-tired), I have
done myself. When I was looking at this it was 05:00 in the morning. The
previous 3 nights I went to bed very late, and on top of it all I did
not sleep well at all. So, forgive my silly question. I will never,
never, ever do it again!:-)

--
                          ***
William Dicks (Systems Analyst - C++ & Theology Graduate) wd@isis.co.za