Re: PLANHTHS in Jude 13f

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 11 1998 - 15:15:46 EST

On Sun 11 Jan 98 (18:01:05 +0800), scox@chinaonline.com.cn.net wrote:
> Another point: PROEFHTEUSEN DE KAI TOUTOIS is prophecying
>  "to whom" exactly? - our friends the ARESTES PLANHTAI??

>  If AV and NIV are right it should be PROEFHTEUSEN PERI
>  TOUTWN shouldn't it?

>  cf: Matt 15:7 KALWS EPROFHTEUSEN PERI UMWN
>  Matt 26:68 PROFHTEUSON HMIN

 Steven:

 I think you are right about the targets of the prophecy. It was not however
 a prophecy "about" PERI these ARESTES PLANHTAI, but a prophecy "unto" them
 TOUTOIS (simple dative; preposition redundant). PROFHTEUW TINI, to prophesy
 to someone; PERI TINOS, about something.

 JA Bengel writes (Gnomon, E.T.) "PROEFHTEUSE) /acted as a prophet/.
 --KAI TOUTOIS, /even to these/) not only respecting these, and not to the
 antediluvians only; for he says, /all/."

 My GNT (Nestle-Kilpatrick) gives "EPROF. B*(aleph), R] PROEF. rell [sigma]"
 in the App. Crit. The preferred text has EPROFHTEUSEN. Is this a phenomenon
 common in NT Greek, rather like separable and inseparable prefixes with
 German verbs? Is PROFHTEUW optionally treated as a compound of PRO + FHMI?
 I don't suppose it affects the meaning.

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>