Re: Imperfective Imperfects in Acts 8:17

From: CWestf5155 (CWestf5155@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 14:12:27 EST

Dear Clayton,

> I have no serious problems with any of the above. What I have a problem
with
> is making the subjectivity of the author's choice into an absolute. The
> author
> can choose to depict the laying on of hands as a finished simple event
> (aorist) or the author can make an issue out of the process by using the
> imperfect. But the notion that the author's choice is divorced from the
> objective situation is mildly absurd. If Porter is not making subjectivity
> an
> absolute then I am not arguing with Porter. But some members of this list
> seem
> to be making this subjectivity an absolute are they not?

Well, I think as I go through the process of understanding aspect, that I have
misunderstood a number of things and that my balance keeps getting corrected.

I do feel that aspect has suffered from misrepresentation, false comparisons
and over-generalization. I also think that it would be a mistake to simply
dismiss it. As I suggested on an earlier posting, there is no consensus here.
The discussion is in process (that means there will be adjustments) and the
jury hasn't given a verdict (or even convened).

Regardless, the direction of biblical studies seems to be tending towards
incorporating principles of linguistics into the study of the biblical
languages. It is a given that it must shake some categories and create
general discomfort. I don't see how any of these theories can be really
convincing if the linguistic framework isn't understood. At this time, I
don't see how one can understand the linguistic framework without putting a
significant amount of time into it (which is hard for people in the real
world). This creates an understandable amount of tension and frustration that
may not be resolved any time soon.

I guess most of us will either reject, be open but cautious, or take a
Kierkegaardian leap.

Cindy Westfall
PhD Student, Roehampton