MOICHEUOMENH

From: F. Holly Mitchell (mitchell@dobson.ozarks.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 15:14:06 EST

bgreekers,

> > My question: How can she be "caught...in the very act" of
> > being adulterated? What is the significance of being in the
> > form of the verb? Is this the normal way to speak of a woman
> > in an adulterous act?
>
> I think that MOICEUOMENH should probably be understood here as a middle
> voice rather than as a passive. To be sure, it is normally active MOICEUW
> of both the man and the woman, the implication here is clearly that the
> woman is no mere victim, and for that reason the middle might be
> appropriate.

Kittel's dictionary indicates that MOIXAOMAI is typically used passively
in refering to women in both the NT and the LXX, noting that in marriage,
the woman has become the possession of her husband (who, by the way is
not necessarily called to fidelity by the law). I notice also that the
word 'adulterate' in English means 'to make impure, by adding a prohibited
substance'. Thus, the idea that she has become impure, (or has actively
allowed herself to be adulterated) seems to fit the cognitive model of
marital possession.

Can you point me to an example of MOIXEUW being used actively in reference
to a woman, Carl? (Or do we only assume inclusivity?) I'd *love* to find
out that I'm wrong!

God Bless,
Ginger Ferguson
Univ of the Ozarks