Re: MOICHEUOMENH

From: George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 19:33:54 EST

Andrew Kulikovsky wrote:

> I believe the Law actually stated that a couple caught in the
> act were to be summararily killed by having a lance rammed through them
> while they were still in the act...
>
> cheers,
> Andrew

 This was not a 'law' as such, though it is contained in the Law (Torah -
Pentateuch). The example is from a narratve in which Phineas, grandson of
Aaron, takes a lance to Zimri (an Israelite) and Cozbi (a Midianite woman)
in the act of adultery and thereby stops a plague. Phineas was commended by
God for his zeal.

--
George Athas
 < gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au > Ph: 0414 839 964 (ICQ #5866591)