Re: Future Participles

From: Mary L B Pendergraft (pender@wfu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 05:20:07 EST

At 01:52 PM 1/27/98 +0000, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>PROSKUNHSWN appears in Acts 8:27. I had to go running to the grammars when I
>saw this. I checked BDF 418(4), Zerwick 282, and Porter (Idioms) 192, 232.
>
>Porter agrees with Zerwick that in this instance of the future participle
>(Acts 8:27) indicates movement with a purpose.
>
>Is this a common classical idiom? If so, what are some other ways that the
>future participle is used in classical literature?

The future participle to express purpose is the most frequent use of that
participle in Classical Greek. It's always a surprise for students coming
from Latin.

Mary

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109-7343
336-758-5331 (NOTE: this is a new number) pender@wfu.edu