RE: John 1:1

From: Peter Phillips (p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 02 1998 - 07:26:57 EST

I fully agree with Carl's sagacious remarks. The gospel does indeed seem
to be a commentary on the prologue rather than the prologue tacked onto the
gospel - I suppose when you write a book you draft out the introduction and
then come back to it to polish it off. But it seems the wrong way round to
suggest that John (or a group/person we now know as John) wrote the gospel
and then decided it needed a flowery opening.
As for the Proverbs 8 and Wisdom of Solomon references - certainly there
are elements within the SOPHIA/HOKHMAH tradition which are carried over
into Philo and also into John. However, notice that the language changes.
 Philo could and did in places talk of Sophia. However it is John who
specifically changes the SOPHIA language into LOGOS language - presumably
because of the gender of SOPHIA (but that seems ever so prosaic).
 Moreover, it is one things to take up themes another entirely to blow
these themes out of the water - SOPHIA/HOKHMAH is only a co-creator with
God and is in fact a created being herself in Proverbs and Wisdom of
Solomon - the Logos is around before anything is created - see the past
discussions on the difference between EGENETO and HN.
The point stands I think that the first readers would have heard a concept
rather than a person. In the next eighteen verses John gradually puts
flesh on the bones, as it were.

Pete Phillips