Re: Luther and Word Order

From: Jonathan Robie (
Date: Sun Feb 08 1998 - 19:47:00 EST

At 06:57 PM 2/8/98 -0500, Nichael Lynn Cramer wrote:
>In this context we might recall Luther's dictum that in this verse "the
>lack of an article is against Sabellianism; the word order is against
Mounce quotes this in his grammar. He offers these translations and
theological glosses:

KAI hO LOGOS HN QEOS "and the word was a god" (Arianism)
KAI QEOS HN hO LOGOS "and the word was god" (Orthodoxy)

I know Luther said this, I know Mounce quotes it, but I haven't the
foggiest what evidence there is for this. I looked, but couldn't find such

Jonathan Robie

Little Greek Home Page:
Little Greek 101:
B-Greek Home Page: