Re: Jn.1:1b word order

From: Nichael Lynn Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Sun Feb 08 1998 - 18:36:07 EST

>>>John 1:1b.
>>>Why is it KAI QEOS HN O LOGOS and not KAI O LOGOS HN QEOS?

In the recent discussion re: Jn 1:1b, some have expressed surprise at the
notion that the order of the words might affect the meaning, or indeed even
that other might consider it important.

In this context we might recall Luther's dictum that in this verse "the
lack of an article is against Sabellianism; the word order is against
Arianism".

Now, I do not offer this for (or against) any of the opinions expressed
here. Neither do I wish at this point to argue for (or against) Luther's
position. Rather, I only wish to make the point that 1] there have in fact
been many who have held the word order to be both important and significant
and 2] folks have been arguing about this for a very long time.