Re: Acts 17:28

From: Troy A. Griffitts (troy@crosswire.org)
Date: Wed Feb 11 1998 - 21:55:29 EST

> Well, it's forced if you read the middle as reflexive ("move
ourselves").
> The middle can often be read simply as intransitive, however:
>
> "In whom we live, and move, and have being."

IMHO, being no expert, it seems that the verbs should be consistent thus
the previously suggested understandings could be:

    "In whom we ARE GIVEN LIFE, ARE MOVED, and ARE MADE TO EXIST"

or

    "FOR whom WE LIVE, MOVE, and HAVE BEING."

Relevant crosstext:

Galatians 2:
19 For I, through the law, died to the law, that I might live to God. 20
I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I that live, but
Christ living in me. That life which I now live in the flesh, I live by
faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.

Given the above passage, I don't see a logic problem reading the Acts
passage either way-- given Calvin or not. :)

Troy A. Griffitts
CrossWire Bible Society
http://www.crosswire.org
Committed to bringing free, quality Bible software study tools to new
generations.