RE: Questions re: LXX

From: James Ernest (
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 08:13:06 EST

Far be it from me to discourage you from buying the books mentioned
by Maurice O'Sullivan, which are classics and still worthwhile; but if
you're looking for a brief, recent point of entry you should check out
as a starting point you should read the Anchor Bible Dictionary article
and the article by Emanuel Tov in Mikra (CRINT 2/2). The IDB article
is several years older but probably still worthwhile. I can't remember
and don't have it here, but I think it may have written by John Wevers
or perhaps Tov, either of whom cd plausibly be nominated for the title
of Mr. Septuagint.

James D. Ernest
Senior editor, academic books, Hendrickson Publishers
Ph.D. cand., Boston College
S-MAIL: c/o Hendrickson Publishers, 140 Summit Street,
  P. O. Box 3473, Peabody, MA 01961-3473 USA
FAX: 978/573-8243 PHONE: 978/573-2243