From: Ben Crick (
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 20:53:13 EST

On Tue 17 Feb 98 (08:36:16), wrote:
> How may of you pastors question potential members about how many wives
> they have? (As is now standard in our Kenyan mission churches!)
 We get a similar problem with refugee families arriving in the UK. The senior
 wife is then deemed the husband's official "wife"; the others are deemed to be
 dependent adult family members.

 Unless in Kenya there are far more than 50% women in the population, it is
 impossible for every man to have more than one wife. This can only be the
 privilege of the chiefs or the well-to-do. Even in Moslem lands, each man can
 only have 4 wives if the women outnumber the men 4:1 !

 I suppose that the "putting away" of the supernumary wives would only be
 necessary if the man concerned was a candidate for the Christian Ministry.

 But Bret: we'd better stop this, or we'll be in trouble from the b-greek FAQ
 Police. 8-)

 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF