Re: Position of Possessive Pronoun

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 07:00:27 EST

Carl W. Conrad wrote:
> At 5:01 AM -0600 2/24/98, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> >The first item is the position of AUTOU in the phrase APEPESAN AUTOU APO TWN
> >OFQALMWN. I am prepared to accept that a possessive pronoun may precede it's
> >noun but I was not quite prepared for this kind of separation. It seemed
> >rather harsh to have a possessive pronoun modify a noun in a prepositional
> >phrase following the pronoun. My surprise at this construction is just one
> >more piece of evidence that I still have a "tin ear" when it comes to NT
> >greek. According to BDF 473.1 this construction is nothing to be alarmed
> >about. There is another clear example in Mat. 8:8 which reads MOU hUPO THN
> >STEGHN. This is not an emphatic position according to BDF 473.1.
> There may be other views, but I'd be inclined personally to understand that
> AUTOU as an immediate ablatival genitive complement to APEPESAN clarified
> by the following APO TWN OFQALMWN: "fell from him from the eyes"; i.e., I
> don't really think it's a possessive pronoun at all.

When I first encountered this I tried to read it the way you have described,
even though I didn't have the terminology to label it. After pondering the
problem for a while I broke my own rules and looked at the most literal
English translations I could find and all of them seemed to translate it as a
possessive pronoun. So I concluded that I must be wrong. Perhaps it is best to
steer clear of the English when trying to solve this kind of problem.

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062