Re: What is the Greek curse word that Paul uses?

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 16:59:49 EST

 I posted this way back on 7th March, but it got lost in cyberspace...

 On Thu 5 Mar 98 (21:03:41), justinj_tsp@email.msn.com wrote:
> Does anyone know of the curse word that Paul uses in one of the
> letters? If so, what letter is it in? Also, how was it used in
> everday life?

 Dear Justin,

 I think you must be referring to 1 Corinthians 16:22, EI TIS OU FILEI
 TON KURION, HTW ANAQEMA. MARANA QA.

 ANAQEMA is a shortened form of ANATEQEIMENON, something placed or set up.
 It refers to a pagan votive offering placed in a temple in front of an
 idol, and therefore "anathema" to a Christian, and a CheReM to a Hebrew.

 A /CheReM/ in Hebrew refers to something "devoted to destruction"; like
 all the spoils of the Battle of Jericho. God would "do thus and more also"
 to anyone who appropriated something that was dedicated to YHWH to
 destruction. The Arabic word /Harem/ (the quarters of the multiple wives
 of an Arabian sheikh) has the same idea. Violation of the Harem is punishable by death.

 In the LXX, ANAQEMA translates CheReM. In the NT, see also Romans 9:3,
 1 Corinthians 12:3, and Galatians 1:8-9. For a non-Pauline use see Acts
 23:14, where forty conspirators bound themselves by a great curse
 /ANAQEMATI ANEQEMATISAMHN hEAUTOUS/ that they would eat nothing until
 they had slain Paul. I often wonder how they got off the hook when they  failed to kill him!

 HTH
 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF