Re: 2 Cor. 6:16 Sentence Construction?

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Mar 24 1998 - 23:16:23 EST

justin wrote:

> In verse 6:16 HMEIS GAR NAOS QEOU ESMEV ZWNTOS, KAQWS EIPEN hO QEOS hOTI
>
> How is ESMEN functioning in this verse? It really seems out of place in the
> sentence construction. I have looked at several grammars and had no luck
> finding a solution. Does ESMEN function as a pointer to the OT prophecy in
> the latter part of verse 16?

I haven't seen an answer to this on the list. I am a little puzzled about what
Justin is puzzled about. There are some textual variants here.

hHMEIS . . . ESMEV is read by Aleph* B D* 33 81* it(d) cop(sa,bo) . . .

hUMEIS . . . ESTE is read by p46 C D(c) G K Psi 641 Maj Lect it(g,61) . . .

hHMEIS . . . ESMEV is the more difficult (but not terribly difficult) reading
and it explains the other reading as an attempt to tidy up the text a little.
The context would make the second person plural a little easier than the first
person plural, but Alford, Hodge and Meyer all treated the difference between
these readings as a wash in terms of exegesis.

I think Justin's question may have had to do with some perceived syntactical
difficulty, but if such a difficulty exists I have overlooked it. Perhaps the
word order has given pause? The equative verb coming between QEOU and ZWNTOS?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point