re: Greek Grammarians and Aspect

From: Edgar Foster (
Date: Wed Mar 25 1998 - 23:00:58 EST

I can't say that I have a whole lot of input on this subject, but you
might consult some of Lightfoot's work (particularly Colossians). In
Earle's Word Meanings in The NT, he refers to Pollux who wrote the
famed Onomasticon (a Greek dictionary in the second century CE).

Earle quotes from Lightfoot who quotes from Pollux (See Earle, p.
362). It might also be good to consult the writings of the ANF like
Origen and Athenagoras to see how they understood certain Greek words
and phrases (e.g., AUTOQEOS). The Wycliffe Exegetical Commentary
Series also looks back at past exegetes (Theodore of Mopsuestia,
etc.). I don't know of anyone who argued about aspect and Aktionsart
in times of antiquity.

E. Foster

Get your free address at