Re: "a" or "the" ?? (Mark 15.39)

From: Jim West (
Date: Fri Mar 27 1998 - 18:05:55 EST

At 05:00 PM 3/27/98 +0400, you wrote:
>Mark Goodacre has given a good response to this. I decided at first not to
>answer the above, but I would like to add to Mark's good statement the fact
>that the intent of those who questioned Jesus according to Mark 12:13 was
>to "trap" him in his speech.

Absolutely! And when Mark wishes to indicate that a speaker is being less
than genuine he points it out to the reader! Thus, where Mark does not make
such a statement, we are not to read one into it. The evidence you present
in this segment supports my response.

> Mark makes it clear that their intent was not
>to witness to the claim that Jesus taught the way of the Lord. Yet one of
>Mark's themes is the way of the Lord. Whether Mark was thinking irony or
>not, my senses tells me that this is a situation that is ironic.

Yes, but thats the problem. Your sense may say so to you- but is that what
Mark said? By the evidence you mention above, when Mark wishes us to know
what is in the mind of a speaker, he tells us.

>Now if you want an example of eisegesis go back and read ">Lets all be
>careful >lest we assume that Mark is reporting actual historical events.<

Not eisegetical at all. Mark is Gospel- not biography. The first vers of
the book tells us the literary genre- not history, but story.

>That certainly assumes an attitude by Mark that is nowhere indicated in the

I disagree. Again, see 1:1

> I agree with Ernst Best when he says, "Mark appears to deal with
>traditions that come to him rather conservatively." I do not take that to
>mean that every word is historical, but surely there is an historical
>kernel there somewhere. I will say no more in this string lest we go too
>far afield. Irony, though, is clearly part of Marks witness to Jesus and
>does affect his language.

But, dear sir, it is not quite so clear unless we make it so. When Mark
wishes to say something, he does. When he does not, he doesn't.

>Carlton L. Winbery

Jim West, ThD
Petros TN