Re: Binary Oppositions / Fanning

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Fri Apr 03 1998 - 07:02:37 EST

Many thanks to Daniel for a most thorough and thought provoking post. I read
it several times and found that Daniel has plumed the depths of this question
in a most impressive manner. I do have one residual question.

Daniel Riao wrote:

> Beside, note that for some theorists the assertion that "the
> "unmarked" element is neutral while a "marked" element etc." is not a
> theory, but a postulate, and therefore it needs no proof.

I am rather fond of questioning postulates (assumptions). Is it not valid to
ask these folks why the consider this to be self evident?

Thanks again,

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062