Matt 2:23

From: RHutchin (
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 20:57:30 EDT

In Matt 2:23, we have the reference to the fulfillment of the prophecy
Christ "OTI NAZWPAIOS KLHQHSETAI" which translators take to mean that Christ
should be called a Nazarene.

Elsewhere, the term "O NAZWPAIOS" is used with regard to Christ, and we find
the terminology "IHSOUS O NAZWPAIOS" or Jesus of Nazareth.

Is the implication of Matt 2:23 that of Jesus being a Nazarene or that Jesus
would be of/from Nazareth? Is there a difference between the two?

What meaning or idea does the term "NAZWPAIOS" convey that I could use to
a search for this prophecy in the OT (recognizing the challenge of the task).
I am familiar with the identification of the word with Netzer and branch. Is
there anything else to which "NAZWPAIOS" might refer within the Biblical