Re: hEURISKEI in Acts 10:27 - Present Tense?

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Wed Apr 08 1998 - 05:27:11 EDT

Rolf Furuli wrote:
> For the traditional aspectual view is it quite ironic that EISHLQEN
> (perfective) expresses the durative action and that hEURISKEI
> (imperfective) expresses the "punctiliar" action.
Yes it is ironic. I have relegated the whole issue of durative/punctiliar
verbs to the realm of lexical semantics and/or the semantics of the larger
discourse units. I have also relegated most of what is being currently
discussed in aspectology to one of these two realms of semantics. I do not
think that verb morphological markings can bear the strain that is being put
on them by the aspectologists. I read the current discussions of aspectology
with Occam's razor firmly in hand and when I get through cutting there isn't
much left.

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062

Visit the Cayman Islands, God's country.