Re: Jn 20:16; Did John Goof?

From: Edgar M. Krentz (
Date: Sun Apr 12 1998 - 17:54:00 EDT

>Sorry, perhaps my choice of "despised" was a mistake. It was, perhaps,
>a bit tongue in cheek. I was using "despised" in its rather benign sense
>as expressed thus in my American Heritage dictionary. "To regard as
>unworthy of one's interest or concern." e.g.. Agatha Christy, in
>CURTAINS describes a character, (who turns out to be a villain patterned
>after Iago) as a nondescript little fellow whom "everyone liked and
>despised." Luther - "We should not despise preaching and his word but
>hold it sacred, and gladly hear and learn it." Sorry again if my
>choice of despised misled.
>If I understand correctly, TDNT seems to be considered, (at least to
>some extent) "unworthy of one's interest or concern," because of what is
>perceived to be too great a reliance on etymology an not enough regard
>for context.

I wonder what could have given you this impression? I have some problems
with some articles in the TDNT, but over-reliance on etymology is certainly
not one of them.

I may be way off base here, but I have noticed that it is
>not regarded highly by scholars and if it's not too far off topic for
>B-Greek I, for one, would appreciate some discussion of its weaknesses
>and strengths.

And I have not noticed the disregard from scholars, unless you mean the
criticisms of James Barr a generation ago that the dictionary writers were
not conversant with modern linguistic theories about semiotics.

Such remarks make one suspicious of other comments one makes.

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
Telephone: (773) 256-0752
Since the home access is functioning well again, you can go back to using
it until further notice
Fred Allen once said to Groucho Marx, "I have just returned from Boston;
it's the only sane thing to do if you find yourself up there."