Punctuation in Codex Bezae (on the web)

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Apr 10 1998 - 23:52:13 EDT

In light of the recent discussion of punctuation (or the lack of it) in the
early Greek NT manuscripts, I thought I would point out that portions of
Codex Bezae are available on the web through the Greek Language &
Linguistics Gateway (URL below). The images of this manuscript illustrate
very well some of the issues which came up in the earlier
discussion--spaces separating clauses (but not individual words), and an
occassional raised dot to indicate a full stop.

There is even a brief discussion of the punctuation accompanying the images.

To see the images, go to the Gateway (http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer)
and choose the "Manuscripts & Textual Criticism" link. Scroll down on the
page which appears and you will see a link to Codex Bezae. This link leads
to three images, two of which clearly show the relevant punctuation
practices. The images load slowly, so expect some delay.

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
You can also access my online bibliography of Greek Linguistics at