Re: Jn 21:15-17 IMHO

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Mon Apr 20 1998 - 13:37:24 EDT

The exponential effect of one question, yielding many "answers", then
followed up by more questions is amazing. Who can keep up?! So forgive me
for not having studied all of this before my post.

Could we read FILEO as "liked or loved", but AGAPEW as "loved or liked"? If
they were totally equal, with no connotations, one would be unnecessary.
Many synonymns we use have different strengths that make them more suitable
when a subtle preference is called for. AGAPEW has the connotation of a
supreme aim as opposed to an appreciation for, so it would be a good choice
for the Pharisee/higher seats setting.